Photo courtesy of Women's Health Initiative, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD.
What is WWoW’s mission?
The Wild Women’s mission is threefold:
- To mentor women who are interested or working in the movement to end sexual and domestic violence;
- To advocate for women in the second half of life (age 50 and older) who are or have been victims of sexual and/or domestic violence; and
- To support primary prevention initiatives that will reduce sexual and domestic violence in future generations.
What is our philosophy?
The Wild Women of Wisdom founders are women in the second half of life who have worked as advocates in the field of sexual and domestic violence for many years. We are committed to WWoW’s mission and we also believe that fun, self-care, and spirituality are necessary elements if we are to remain effective in this work. Toward this end, our task force meetings are structured not only to accomplish objectives that advance the WWoW mission but also to deepen relationships among the members and to enjoy our gatherings.
Who can join this group of wild, wise women?
You do not have to be a woman in the second half of life to join our task force: You can be any age; you can be any gender. The Wild Women of Wisdom do encourage you to become both wild and wise.
How often and where do the Wild Women meet?
We meet quarterly at the homes of members, and the hosting member provides lunch. Our agenda includes an inspirational reading, a social time, and a business meeting. We also pass the hat for optional financial contributions for a sexual or domestic or family violence program chosen by the hostess.
What do the Wild Women of Wisdom do?
- We support individuals new to the field while building a mentoring program to employ the skills of advocates with more than 10 years’ experience.
- We sponsor workshops at the Virginia Sexual and Domestic Violence Action Alliance annual retreat. We also support workshops and training provided by related agencies to enhance professionals’ ability to work with women in the second half of life who have been victims of sexual and/or domestic violence.
- We sponsor a reception each year at the Virginia Sexual and Domestic Violence Action Alliance Retreat to highlight the contributions of Virginia women to the movement to end sexual and domestic violence.
- We have a lot of fun!
How do I join WWoW Task Force?
To join WWoW, you must be a member of the Virginia Sexual and Domestic Violence Action Alliance, either as an individual or through a member agency. If you are unable to afford membership dues, WWoW will sponsor your membership.
To learn more about WWoW or the location of the next WWoW meeting, contact the Virginia Sexual and Domestic Violence Action Alliance.
Phone: (804) 377-0335
Fax: (804) 377-0339
For more information call 804-377-0335 . E-mail is not a secure form of communication. To ensure confidentiality please call the Family Violence & Sexual Assault Hotline at 800.838.8238 (V/TTY).